Effective January 15th, Similac Total Comfort will be an authorized formula with a physician’s prescription.
- Similac Total Comfort is a 100% hydrolyzed whey protein, 98% lactose-reduced, 19 calories per ounce formula. DC WIC policy allows for Similac Total Comfort to be authorized for cow’s milk/soy protein intolerance.
Effective January 4, DC WIC will issue a new food list, which will expand food choices for WIC participants. These changes include:
- Addition of 100% whole wheat buns in a 16 oz. package as a whole grain choice
- Addition of 100% whole wheat pasta in a 16 oz. package as a whole grain choice
- Addition of barley in a 16 oz. package as a whole grain choice
- Addition of plain low-fat or fat-free yogurt in a 32 oz. container for women and children over two years of age as a substitute for one quart of milk
- Addition of dried fruit (to be purchased with the Cash Value Check for fruits and vegetables) for women and children
- Addition of juice blends (in addition to single flavor juices)
- Allowance of multi-packs of two of 4 oz. containers of infant fruits and vegetables
- Restriction of canned vegetables to reduced-sodium, low sodium or no-salt added
Please note that yogurt will not be a choice for children between 12 and 24 months of age. Whole milk will continue to be the standard issuance for one-year-old children. The only substitutions allowed for whole milk for one-year-olds are cheese and tofu.
The complete authorized exempt formula list, as well as the new food list, can be found on the DOH website, http://doh.dc.gov/service/special-supplemental-nutrition-program-women-infants-and-children-wic.
Please contact Paulette Thompson (email@example.com or 202-442-5894) for more information.